Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The #1 question I've received is about multiple cards and PCR-a little more info.

Hello Everyone,
To those that are following this blog, or check it occasionally to see what is happening with PCR, I say thank you. I appreciate the comments that have been posted and this entry deals specifically with a concern that has been mentioned multiple times.
A couple of blog readers have made clear their concerns about patrons who use multiple cards to get more time on the computer. This behavior is in clear violation of FCPL's Internet Guidelines for Use which state:

2.Computer users can only sign up for a computer using their own library card. They may not misrepresent themselves or use someone else’s card or PIN.

I sense the concern over PCR and patrons using multiple cards is that once PIN numbers are eliminated, what is to stop patons from using another card to get an access code and get on a public computer beyond their time limit? Currently, PIN numbers is used as a security feature to try and prevent this kind of abuse. A patron would need to know multiple PIN numbers to multiple cards to grant more internet access. With PIN numbers no longer used in PCR, the concern is that this behavior will proliferate.

The PCR committee discussed this issue and we have reached the following conclusions:
1. There is currently no such method or program that would prevent this scenario 100% of the time and this is essentially a behavior issue.
2. Misuse of a library card to obtain additional computer time is a breach of library policy. Therefore, our detailed guidelines for dealing with patrons who do not comply with library policies can be applied as they are with any other breach of the Rules of Conduct.

I know it is difficult to keep track of all patrons and how much time they use on the computers but if you notice someone is in clear violation of the Rules of Conduct, then follow the same Library Rules of Conduct to decide the best course of action. According to the Internet Guidelines for Use, "Failure to comply with these rules will result in the revocation of computer use privileges." Source

Again, I welcome any questions or comments. Have a great day everyone.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment